5.9K views

I PURCHASED A CEN-TECH BATTERY CHARGER 5/1/13, AS I WAS CHARGING THE BATTERY IN MY TRUCK THE UNIT STARTED SMOKING AND ALMOST BURNT MY TRUCK. I CALLED CEN-TECH SUPPORT TO FIND A LOCATION TO HAVE IT REPAIRED.

THE CHARGER IS LESS THAN SIX MONTHS OLD USED LESS THAN SIX TIMES AND HARBORFREIGHT WILL NOT BACK-UP THEIR PRODUCT. THIS COMPANY DOES NOT HAVE OR SUPPORT A REPAIR SHOP. THEIR STAFF MEMBER MORE OR LESS STATED THAT I AM NOW THE PROUD OWNER OF THEIR JUNK.

I CAN SEE HOW THEY MAKE SUCH A PROFIT, BY RIPPING OFF THEIR CUSTOMERS.

THEY LOST MY BUSINESS. RAY

Comments

Snohomish, Washington, United States #1344454

Same thing happened to me. They won't make good on the charger or sell me the replacement parts.

Canton, Ohio, United States #1320595

I had same issue...so I bought another one and put old 1 in box and got my money back for 1st one. Year later...now..same issue...did same thing again....they aren't gonna get my money 4 free

to Jk #1501822

Here's a suggestion, quit being a tool and stealing from the company, put the replacement plan they offer you on your product. You sir are part of the reason prices go up and your blatant thieving doesn't allow for better products.

I got the shop type, big cen-tech 63044 model. It has wheels .

Warranty is,three months. The third time i used it (after 4 months) it started to trip the house circuit breaker and quit working. Can't find a supplier of parts for this brand.

No technical support either. Crappy stuff.

Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States #1244569

We not only had a brand new one a FIRST TIME use of our charger but it ultimately led to our warehouse catching on fire and burning it and everything in it! I would not trust anything Harbor Freight sells, not even a pair of gloves!

Vancouver, Washington, United States #1237956

I had the identical thing happen to me. It had been used maybe 4 times at the most.

Tried to take it back to Harbor Freight and they told me more or less tough luck. I had a beautiful charger that wAs no good. I couldn't believe my eyes when the charger started smoking when I tried to start my car with it. I'll never ever buy another electrical tool from Harbor Frieght.

That was a total waste of $112. What adissappointement!

Houston, Texas, United States #1206807

I went through the same story, only that I use it two times.

Piece of you.... already name it.

Mesa, Arizona, United States #1194930

I bought one also around Christmas , my son only uses it once in a while, well today it won't hold a charge. I called Harbor Freight and same response no warranty unless you purchased one.

And I can't remember if anyone offered it, because I bought over $250.00 in one transaction.

Thought they would have a warranty for at least a year anyway. But NO , So upset with harbor freight .In Mesa AZ.

Purchase a cheap charger and it may last a long time, it may last till it's connected the first time. Yes sir, had a friend of mine toast one and was able to find diodes to fix it for him.

Just a few days ago, he hooked it up backwards and smoked all the diodes and the little plastic holders.

Not able to fix with the little diode holders melted, so he is like you and has already purchased a new one from Auto Zone. Sorry to say, but you like him now has some salvage metal.

Cen-Tech 6/12volt charger is a hazard, there should be a total recall before somebody burns up, used once and quit working, I dissembled unit and found that the + output from the circuit board was mounted to the - post on the charge level gauge. transformer is bad also.

who knows what else wired wrong. harbor freight was no help, they only want your money.

but what else would you expect from cheap labor in china. BUY american!!!!!

I bought my cen-teck charger 6 mo. ago used it 3 times now wont work, 3 mo. replacement joke garbage ray idaho

New Castle, Pennsylvania, United States #1036167

Bought same charger two days ago.... 2 freakin days ago.

Used it once. Only half charged my battery and no longer works. Heading to harbor freight in the am. I'm afraid I lost my money from your review.

If they do not replace/ refund..

I will be through with this company!! Really pissed right now!!

to Chuck New Castle, Pennsylvania, United States #1036172

Actually, I'm glad it didn't burn down my *** garage. What a joke!

Olney, Maryland, United States #955249

The harbor freight located in Gaithersburg md , is full of idiots , they all have this attitude, they are slackers, dumb and drummer,one day they wanted me to help them stock their freight, I said what do you take me for,but all in all, please friends if you want medium duty tools this place is ok, my Latin landscapers have sticker fingers stole lot of my tools, have no proof, but got my suspicions, but harbor freight saved the day I replaced almost all my tools, for half the original cost, people we need a harbor freight thank you

Olney, Maryland, United States #955241

Dear friends I purchased a harbor freight big wrench but when I used it working on a bus it snapped in half. You get what you pay for similar tool snap on is 98 bucks, my fellow mechanics they all laughed at me when it broke,

Olney, Maryland, United States #955237

We purchased a harbor freight top of the line battery charger used it a few times, but when I reality need to use the battery charger, this Chinese piece of turd smoked burnt up, we'll do not buy Chinese anything

Vancouver, Washington, United States #879980

Yeap! I've gone thru my 5th one in less than 2 years and as long as I pay another additional $20 warranty fee, I get it exchanged. I'm must be addicted to this ***.

I too had a bad fire from my Harbor Freight , Cent-Tech Battery Charger. I bought the Battery Charger at Harbor Freight around 2013, and it started on fire (2014) while charging a 12v car Battery that was only 1 year old.

It went up with fire and rolling thick black smoke. if I wasn't there, it would have burned down my house and car.

The 90 warranty is a joke. I don't understand how this company's products pass the tests necessary to be old in the U.S.A.

Good to know. I almost bought one but I purchased the jump starter instead.

It's made like junk. The battery in the power pack is loose-in all of them. Apparently that's how it's made. It's bulkier than I thought for a 300 crank amp starter.

Be very careful when returning/exchanging at Harbor Freight. A simple exchange can turn into a joke with a restocking fee, ID/private information requirement and managers discretion.

I've have good luck with hand tools and cheap power tools. But their electronics like meters and this booster pack suck. Apparently the charger no better either.

It seems HF uses old or discontinued patents which would explain how they get much of their inventory so cheap. It would also explain problems like shorting.

MY CEN-TECH CHARGER WENT UP IN SMOKE TOO!!!! I OPENED MINE UP AND FOUND THE COOLING FAN BLADES LYING IN THE BOTTOM OF THE UNIT.

THE BLADE ASSEMBLY HAD FALLEN OFF OF THE MOTOR.

WITHOUT THAT MEAGER COOLING, THE DIODES OVERHEATED AND FRIED. THE COMPANY DOE :cry S NOT HAVE ANY REPLACEMENT DIODE ASSEMBLIES SO....YOU'RE HAD!